Traditional Cheese Fondue Recipe
Traditional Cheese Fondue – Swissmar
There’s a certain magic that unfolds when friends and family gather around a bubbling pot of melted cheese, accompanied by an array of delectable dippables. This magical experience is none other than indulging in the time-honoured tradition of cheese fondue. The very act of dipping, swirling, and savouring the rich, velvety cheese mixture brings people closer, encouraging laughter, conversation, and an unforgettable sense of togetherness.
Originating from the heart of the Swiss Alps, fondue has transcended its humble beginnings to become an international culinary phenomenon that warms both hearts and palates. The act of sharing a pot creates an atmosphere of camaraderie, where everyone participates in crafting their own delightful bites. As each piece of bread or vegetable is carefully dipped into the luscious cheese blend, there’s a sense of shared experience that goes beyond the simple act of eating.
At Swissmar, we offer a wide array of amazing fondue pots and sets, to impress your guests with professional looking and tasting dips. The crackling sound of the burner, the aroma of the wine-infused cheese, and the joyous clinking of fondue forks all contribute to an ambiance that encourages lingering, connecting, and making memories. It’s a chance to slow down, disconnect from the rush of daily life, and immerse oneself in the art of indulgence.
In this recipe, we’re diving into the traditional cheese fondue, a masterpiece that beautifully captures the essence of communal dining. With the combination of Emmental and Gruyere cheeses, enriched by the delicate touch of nutmeg and the warmth of kirsch, you’re in for an experience that not only delights the taste buds but also kindles a sense of togetherness. So, gather your loved ones, set the stage for shared laughter and meaningful conversations, and embark on a journey of indulgence as we guide you through crafting your own pot of liquid gold – a pot that holds not just cheese, but a slice of togetherness itself.
Cheese Fondue Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 garlic clove, halved crosswise
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine (375ml)
- 1 tbsp corn starch (15ml)
- 2 teaspoons kirsch (10ml)
- 1/2 lb. Emmental cheese, grated (500ml/2 cups)
- 1/2 lb. Gruyere cheese, grated (500ml/2 cups)
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 loaf of good bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Prepare the Pot:
- Rub the inside of a Swissmar fondue pot with the cut sides of the garlic to infuse the pot with its flavour.
- Discard the garlic or leave it in for extra flavour.
- Heat the Wine:
- In the pot, pour the dry white wine and place it over medium heat.
- Bring the wine to a gentle simmer. Be careful not to let it boil.
- Prepare Cheese Mixture:
- In a bowl, toss together the grated Emmental and Gruyere cheese with corn starch. This will help prevent the cheese from clumping together.
- Add Cheese to the Wine:
- Gradually add the cheese and cornstarch mixture to the heated wine, about one handful at a time.
- Stir constantly in a zigzag pattern to ensure the cheese melts evenly and smoothly into the wine.
- Thicken the Fondue:
- Continue stirring and cooking the mixture for about 5-8 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted and the mixture has thickened to a smooth consistency.
- Flavor it:
- Stir in the kirsch, which adds a delightful fruity flavour to the fondue.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg and freshly ground black pepper to taste. These spices will enhance the overall flavour of the fondue.
- Transfer and Serve:
- If you prepared the fondue in a separate pot, transfer the cheese mixture to the fondue pot set over a lit fondue burner.
- Arrange the cut bread cubes on a serving platter or in a basket, ready for dipping.
- To enjoy, dip the bread cubes into the warm, gooey cheese mixture using fondue forks or wooden skewers.
- Swirl the bread around to coat it with the flavourful cheese.
- Savour the classic cheese fondue experience with family and friends.
Note: Keep the pot over a low flame to maintain the consistency of the cheese fondue while enjoying it.
Pro Tip: Feel free to get creative with your dippables! Aside from bread, you can also offer vegetables like blanched broccoli or cauliflower, apple slices, or cooked sausage for variety.
Swissmar Fondue Pots
Looking for high quality fondue pots? Swissmar offers Cheese, Meat and Chocolate Fondue collections providing simple, fun and elegant entertaining for any dinner party. We sell many different types of fondue pots, including Ceramic, Cast Iron, Aluminum, Copper, Stainless Steel and Electric Powered Pots.
We also offer accessories and replacement parts for Swissmar fondue pots.
Feel free to contact us with any questions!